A Macbook is a great tool for watching movies or streaming TV shows. However, if you want to share the experience with others or just get a bigger screen than your current laptop, it’s straightforward to hook up your MacBook to the TV in your living room. You can either connect your Macbook directly to the television or mirror the MacBook’s display on the TV screen. Both options are simple and allow you to use your big screen as a monitor.
Make sure your MacBook is connected to a power source.
Before you can begin, you need to make sure your MacBook is connected to a power source. You can either connect via USB or via the power adapter with your computer. If you use a USB cable, make sure it’s long enough and that both ends are snugly in place. Consider picking up an extra Apple USB-C Cable at the Apple Store before beginning this project if you don’t have one.
If you’re connecting via the power adapter, make sure it’s compatible with your MacBook (it should say on its packaging). For example, if your laptop was purchased in 2017 and had a 12″ Retina display like mine (this information will be printed on its bottom), use an iPad Pro 10W USB Power Adapter to get started with this step-by-step guide!
Connect the correct adapter to your MacBook.
- Connect the correct adapter to your MacBook. You’ll need an HDMI adapter for this. If you don’t have one, make sure it’s connected to a power source and turned on. Then connect one end of the HDMI cable to the adapter on your MacBook and connect the other end of the cable to an open HDMI port on your TV:
Connect your adapter to your MacBook.
Now it’s time to connect the adapter to your MacBook. First, ensure that you have a compatible adapter (if you don’t know which one to get, see this guide). Next, ensure that the adapter is plugged in and turned on (you can check its status by pressing Fn+F2).
Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the adapter on your MacBook.
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the adapter on your MacBook. Ensure that you have plugged in the correct port and that it’s firmly in place. If this is your first time using this type of cable, you may need to check that it isn’t bent or broken.
- Check that the right HDMI cable length is attached to both devices: if it’s too long, check whether it can be shortened by unplugging and reconnecting each end at different points; if it’s too short, then buy a new one.
- When connecting an HDMI cable between two devices, make sure you’re using one with four gold-plated connectors: these will give you better quality than ones with five or six connectors because they connect more closely together due to less interference nearby objects or equipment (such as walls). You should also avoid flat cables unless necessary because they don’t transmit sound as well as round ones do—although this shouldn’t affect audio very much unless there’s a lot going on around them (like when people are talking loudly).
Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to an open HDMI port on your TV.
Make sure the HDMI port on your TV is open and connected to the correct input source.
Once you’ve made sure the HDMI port is open and connected, connect one end of an HDMI cable to an open HDMI port on your TV. Make sure it clicks into place securely before moving on to step 4!
Switch your TV’s input source until you see the display from your Mac on the TV screen.
Now that you’ve plugged in your Mac, here’s how to display the image from your computer on the TV.
- Switch your TV’s input source until you see the display from your Mac on the TV screen. If you don’t know how to switch between inputs, consult the manual for your specific television model (if necessary). Some televisions have multiple ways to switch between inputs—for example, “Source” or “Input” buttons—and others require a more convoluted process like pressing an up/down arrow key while holding down a button labeled “Menu,” “Info,” or something similar.
- Select the HDMI input source if necessary. Again: consult your television manual! Different brands use different terms for this feature (e.g., “HDMI1,” “HDMI 2”), so be sure you’re selecting the right one if yours has multiple HDMI ports available and doesn’t label them specifically as such; otherwise, it can get confusing very quickly when trying to figure out which port leads where and how many there are total so that everything comes together correctly later on when hooking everything up together correctly without having any issues like seeing only black screens pop up randomly because there aren’t enough cables appropriately connected yet).
It is easy to connect a Macbook to a TV with a simple HDMI cable.
Connecting a Macbook to a TV with an HDMI cable is accessible. This video walkthrough demonstrates how to hook up your Macbook to a TV in just five simple steps:
- Plug the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on your Macbook and into the HDMI port on your TV.
- Connect the AC adapter for your Macbook if you haven’t already done so.
- Turn on your TV and find out which input it’s connected to (for example, “Input 1,” “HDMI1,” or something else). Then, change how you view content on your laptop until it shows up as that input on your monitor or screen. You should be able to do this by clicking around various icons at the top of their screen—there will be one labeled either “Screens” or some variation of that word like “Extend Screen” or “Duplicate Screen.”
We hope that this article has given you a good idea of all the different ways to connect your MacBook to a TV. Each one is simple, but each provides certain benefits. If you want to go with something direct, HDMI and MiniDisplayPort are great options. For versatility and flexibility, AirPlay and Chromecast are your best bets. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or comments!
If you like this article, check out others like it:
The 7 Best Gaming Keyboards in 2022
Best Gaming Keyboards Gaming keyboards don’t differ much from standard keyboards—they look similar and use the same layout. The main...
10 Best VR Games in 2022
What are VR Games? Virtual reality games, or VR games for short, are video games that can be played with...
10 Most Popular Esports Games (2022)
What are Esports Games? Esports games are competitive video games played by professional players for entertainment purposes. Esports is a...
18 Best Racing Movies to Watch on Netflix (2022)
While some people might think of Netflix as a way to get your fix on reality TV shows, there are...
The 16 Best Baseball Video Games You Should Play
Baseball is one of the oldest sports in America, and it’s been played for over 150 years. With so many...
11 Best Detective TV Series on Netflix (2022)
When you watch detective TV shows, you’re watching a story about the triumph of good over evil. The show’s characters...
15 Sports Movies on Amazon Prime (2022)
The world of movies is massive, and it’s hard to know where to start. Luckily for you, we’ve got a...
The 15 Best Black Family Movies on Netflix (2022)
The best family movie night is one you can enjoy with your loved ones. The Netflix lineup has a great...