AirDrop is a super-easy way to exchange files between nearby iPhones, iPads, and Macs. It’s fast, secure, and simple to use—once you’ve figured out how to use it! We know the world of AirDrop can be confusing at first, so we wrote this handy guide (we hope you find it helpful!). So whether you’re wondering how big of a file you can send using AirDrop, what happens when you decline an Airdrop request, or anything else related to Apple’s nifty file-sharing tool, we’ve got your back.
Learn How to Use AirDrop with this Helpful Guide
Airdrop is a helpful feature of iOS. It allows you to share photos, videos, and other files between devices nearby. Whether you want to quickly share a photo with your friend or transfer files from one computer to another, Airdrop can help you do it quickly.
In this article, we’ll show you how to use Airdrop on an iPhone and outline the best practices for sharing files with others who have iPhones or Macs running macOS Sierra 10.12 or later versions of their operating systems.
1. How to turn on AirDrop on your iPhone
You can turn on AirDrop from the Control Center by tapping the AirDrop icon or by swiping up from the bottom of your screen and then tapping it. You can also turn on AirDrop from the Share Sheet by tapping AirDrop and choosing one of your nearby contacts.
If you want to send someone a photo or video, tap the Share Sheet button in any app that supports it (like Safari). Then tap “AirDrop” under “Share Options.”
2. How to share photos and videos with AirDrop on an iPhone
You can also share photos and videos with AirDrop on your iPhone by tapping the share button in the Photos app, then tapping AirDrop. Here’s how:
- Tap the Share button in the bottom-right corner of a photo or video you want to share.
- Select the device you want to share with from the list of nearby devices that appear on your screen. If there are no nearby devices, tap Other and select a device from here (you will need their permission first).
- Drag files over into their respective boxes at the top of your screen if you’d like them sent as individual copies of each file; otherwise, leave them as-is for every piece of content being sent at once.
- Once finished choosing which files should be sent, tap Share (in blue) at the top left-hand corner of this interface. This will send all chosen pieces into cyberspace, where they await their recipient(s).
3. How to share a document with AirDrop on an iPhone
- Open the document you want to share.
- Tap the share button in the upper right corner of your screen, then tap “AirDrop” at the bottom of your screen.
- Select the device you want to share with and wait for it to appear on your screen before tapping it (if it doesn’t appear, try moving closer to that device).
- Tap on the file you want to send (this could be a photo, video, or other files). A menu will pop up asking if you’d like to send this file through AirDrop or Mail with Attachments at the top left corner of your screen; tap on Send as an attachment if this is what you’d like to do (or hit Cancel if not).
4. How to share your location with AirDrop on an iPhone
The share sheet has a special AirDrop icon at the top. Tap it and tap “location pin” to send your location.
Tap the share button, then choose the person you want to send it to. If you don’t see them in your contacts list, select “Create New Contact” and manually enter their email address or phone number.
If multiple people nearby can receive your location, tap Next until all of them have been sent invites to share their locations (if they want).
5. How to share a URL using AirDrop
As you might have guessed, AirDrop allows you to share links with other people. Here’s how:
- Tap the Share icon on a web page and select the AirDrop icon.
- Choose your recipient and tap Send to confirm that you want to send them a URL via AirDrop. A notification will appear on their iPhone asking them whether they would like to accept or decline your request to send them a link via AirDrop. If they accept, this process is complete; however, if they decline, nothing will happen until either of you try again later (or quit using both devices).
6. How to share contact cards using AirDrop
You can also use AirDrop to share contact cards with people you don’t know. This is useful if, for example, you want to share your phone number with someone, but they don’t have your name or email address. If a person doesn’t have your contact information saved in their address book and you’re trying to send them an image (like a photo), it’s common practice for the recipient to tap on the sender’s name so that they can add them directly from within the Messages app. But what if the recipient wants the image without adding them? That’s where AirDrop comes in handy!
As an aside: If someone does not have my contact card saved in their phone but does have me saved as one of their contacts from another service (for example, Facebook), then I will receive an invitation via Messenger which looks like this:
That means anyone can send me messages without having my phone number or email address; however, they still need access rights since they must be able to see my profile picture and full name (or nickname) before sending anything over AirDrop itself – even though those details are hidden once inside Facebook Messenger itself.”
7. How to share your phone number using AirDrop
The AirDrop feature allows you to share your phone number with other users. To do this, both parties must be close to each other (about 30 feet) without any walls or obstructions.
- Tap on AirDrop on the Control Center or open Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of the screen, and then tap AirDrop to see any nearby devices that can receive content from you.
- Choose one recipient from those displayed by tapping their icon, and then choose how you want them to receive what’s being sent: an image file, video file, or contact card information.
8. How to share notes using AirDrop
To share a note using AirDrop, follow these steps:
- Open the Notes app.
- Create a new note and tap on it to edit it.
- Select the text you want to share and tap the Share button at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose AirDrop from that menu.
- Select who you want to send your selected text to by tapping on their profile picture or name in this window, then tap Done when finished selecting recipients (you can also select more than one person).
- Tap Send, and your recipient should receive your note shortly after!
9. How to receive content by asking for it from the other person’s device
You can ask for content from the other person’s device. To do this, follow these steps:
- Tap on Share or AirDrop on your iPhone. For example, you can tap the Send icon at the bottom of an email and tap on AirDrop to send files via AirDrop.
- Select the type of file you want to receive in a pop-up window that appears.
- Tap Request if you want someone else to select your device as an option when they use AirDrop.
10. What is the max file size you can send via AirDrop?
The AirDrop file size limit is dependent on the version of the operating system you’re running.
- iOS 11 and later: Files up to 20MB, apps up to 100MB.
- iOS 10 or earlier: Files up to 5GB in size, apps smaller than 200MB.
11. What happens if you turn off your phone during an AirDrop transfer?
If you turn off your phone during an AirDrop transfer, the file will be lost, and you’ll need to resend it. If your phone is in sleep mode when the transfer finishes, it will remain so when you restart. Ensure your phone has enough charge before starting a transfer to avoid this scenario. You can plug it into a power outlet or keep extra batteries on hand for emergencies (I’m looking at you, Apple Pencil).
12. What happens when you decline an AirDrop request?
If you decline an Airdrop request, the other person will not be notified that you declined it. They may also continue to send more invitations to you if they believe that the first one was not accepted.
If you wish to accept a request but cannot do so because of technical issues such as a poor connection or possible interference by another device on your network, simply tap “Decline.” This option allows the sender to cancel their request without informing them of your decision.
13. Can I cancel an AirDrop request before the other person has accepted it?
Suppose you’re the one who wants to send something from your iPhone, yes. You can cancel an AirDrop request before the other person has accepted it.
To do this:
- Tap “Cancel” at the top of your screen to immediately cancel a pending AirDrop request. You’ll see this text appear when you tap on “Cancel.”
- If you don’t see this text after canceling, look at some troubleshooting ideas below!
With our tips, you can share anything and everything you want with your friends on Apple devices. Remember that there are some limitations to AirDrop, so check your document’s file size before sharing it. You don’t have much time to decide whether or not you want to accept an AirDrop request, so if you’re not sure what it is, just decline it!